Saturday, July 26, 2014

Week Five

Any growth requires a temporary loss of security.” – Madeline Hunter

This quote certainly reflects my feelings at the beginning of this week as I started reading through the reading resources for this week. I had never used, or to be exact, never seen a WebQuest prior to this session. I have always had extreme confidence with every single session until this one. Therefore, I prepared myself for a long day with my laptop and began reading all the articles, searching the internet and looking at sample WebQuests until I had a clear idea of what it is. I compared Zunal and Questgarden and decided to go for Zunal especially after reading through the rather detailed explanation about WebQuests on their website.

The next step for me was to start building my own, which is when I needed to take a break to think about what I should be including in my WebQuest, in addition to making sure it would fit my newly decided upon group of learners who are English Teachers. It was indeed tiring as I would write a plan sketch and think it would be final, but change it a few minutes later. Finally, after going through five different ideas, I decided on creating a Jigsaw group activity where teachers would work together to create a unit of literature. The ultimate aim behind this webQuest is not only to create the unit, but to have teachers experience integrating web tools into their teaching by  providing them with a sample WebQuest and help them experience project based learning. Creating the WebQuest took hours upon hours to complete (and I will continue to work on it), especially when describing the process and creating an explanatory Prezi. Although it is very time consuming, I feel that it is worth every effort as teachers can use WebQuests to create a cooperative and supportive learning experience for his/her students.


One of the reasons I decided to use the Jigsaw method was because I gave extra attention to the articles about Project Based Learning which describe a positive experience for the students (the examples by Susan Gaer). Indeed, I wanted to create a memorable and meaningful experience for teachers while encouraging them to work together towards an ultimate goal. The teacher in this case, would serve only as a guide and observer while students work independently and are responsible for their own learning process. This is, in fact, one of the main ideas in the New English Curriculum in Israel which strongly emphasizes the idea that meaningful learning is based on learning by doing:



An additional task for this week included creating a grading rubric on Rubistar. I felt this was fairly easy to do when using this website as it offers free templates which can be modified and adapted according to the teachers’ needs. When discussing the issue on Nicenet, it was apparent that all participants find rubrics useful and I am sure we will continue to revisit and use the site as it makes our job slightly easier. I have always used rubrics for exams, assessing the four skills and even for peer assessment and I will continue to use them in the future. However, I intend to give self-assessment a try as well in hope of it becoming an integral part of my assessment plans.

When combining alternative assessment, project based learning and rubrics, it is apparent that the goal is create autonomous learners who effectively interact with others, independently analyze information, take responsibility for their own learning and use their skills to create and be creative. All the session tasks and provided readings were of immense importance to me and as I have mentioned before, I am indeed growing as a teacher and becoming more aware of the needs of my students. Every week presents a new concept and the practical applications, I believe, are of great importance because that is how we learn, by experiencing.

I cannot wait for next week’s session as it states that we will be creating an interactive presentation.

Nahla



Gaer, Susan. "Less Teaching and More Learning". FOB, Vol. 2, Issue D, Dec. 1998

8 comments:

  1. Hello, Nahla,
    I agree that this week has been challenging. Most of the tools recommended within the course I have heard of, but never tried before. That's the reason I appreciate the Webskill course so much!
    I've looked at your webquest and can say that its very well-structured, leads the teachers to the goal step by step and is designed in a very artistic manner. At the same time I've been thinking about my teacher-trainees and I have to say there're some worries. Most of the trainees in my country are not that confident when it comes to using technology tools. To fulfil your webquest they would have to have 4 or 5 tech-training sessions to get acquanted with the tools you recommend. All the tools recommended are brilliant and worth using for your tasks, but my trainees would feel exactly the same way you felt at the beginning of this week, I'm afraid. I can't say I'm a technophobe, but I have no confidence at all trying new tools, and I think they may double the challenge of your webquest.
    What do you think?
    Olga, Belarus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Olga,

      Thank you for reading my WebQuest and post for this week. I certainly intend to give time to teachers in order to learn about the tools and I have left a note in the teachers' section stating that the tools should be taught first.

      I understand your point when you say that teachers might find difficulties and some will, but from my experience in teaching online professional development courses for teachers. I came to find that when they are provided with a guide such as a Youtube Video, they follow that in detail. I once had a teacher who hated technology so I suggested he takes a look at Spelling City and once he read the tutorial he tried a crossword for his class and the students' comments were wonderful. He replied saying that he would appreciate more tools which he could apply in his lessons. I do think some teachers will have problems, but the idea is that they are working in groups to use the technology so they can also serve as guides in that process.

      I'm still thinking about the sessions that I would create which lead up to that WebQuest. I'm not sure about all steps, but it will get easier as time passes.

      Nahla

      Delete
    2. Hi, Nahla,
      Youtube or pdf guides/tutorials (like the ones shared with us by Donna) are a very good idea. And if they work in groups, less experienced or willing teachers can be mixed with more experienced ones.
      Olga

      Delete
    3. Thank you Olga for the suggestions, I do intend to use the explanatory materials shared on the course site. Mixing up teachers of different technological abilities is a great idea.

      Thank you,
      Nahla

      Delete
  2. Hi Nahla,

    I must say, you are labourious with the learning that we are going through. your works are well refined and finely set, as i watch out your rubrics, Webquest and to say this blogpost too. Your response towards nicenet, all are incredible. The demonstration of the WebQuest and the pertrayal of the features you exhibit in blogpost are noteworthy. We got to all the articles that is asked to go through. I must say, you've managed time to your grip. And me, here, is always trying to capture the time, its runs away. You've well studied and well, portrayed and well, exhibited. Keep it up Nahla.

    Gyanu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gyanu,

      I was delighted to read your response and especially by your kind and supportive words. I would like to thank you for reading my blog and Nicenet posts.
      I know what you mean when you say time runs away very quickly and you are right. By the time the session is open, it's already time to do homework for another. We are all in the same position I suppose.

      Thank you,
      Nahla

      Delete
  3. Great blog! I saw your webquest and it was incredibly rich and inspiring. Congratulations! I loved all the details that you included, the links and the reflection instance. Dewey's phrase was fantastic. Thank you for sharing such rich information with us. I tried to post a comment on Nicenet about your webquest, I hope it reaches you because the page collapsed right afterwards...

    María Cecilia
    Argentina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria,

      Thank you for writing these words of support and encouragement. I did check the Nicenet, but your message wasn't there, so I suppose it's didn't make it. Thank you for taking the time to write a comment for me on Nicenet, I really appreciate it.

      Nahla

      Delete